8.5m Superyacht Amphibious Tender
This unique boat is built in Auckland, New Zealand.
She is in service at the moment as an amphibious tender to superyacht Blade (ex H2OME)
The design brief was for amphibious boat capable to reach a speed of 35 knots on water and 10 km/h onshore.
The client has chosen and brought the style of classic sport cars.
Dobroserdov Design is exterior and interior designer for the 8.5 mtr tender.
Length (Waterline): 7.20 m
Beam Max: 3.16 m
Draught (mean) 0.50 m
Displacement (half load): 4700 kg
Engine: Volvo D6-370hp @ 3500 rpm
Drive Volvo DPH Duoprop
Fuel 250 Litres
Fresh Water 100 Liters
Construction: Carbon composite / epoxy resin
Speed on water (half load) 36 knots
Range 200nm @ 28 knots
Speed onshore 10km/h
Classification CE Category: B Offshore
Most of the work on this project has been done by Georgi Yankov while he worked as a Naval Architect for Vaudrey Miller Tenders, which included:
- naval architecture, 3d modelling of the hull shape and performance of the boat
- 3d modelling of the structure, interior and exterior parts
- design and engineering of the wheels retractable systems and arms, drives and mechanical components
- engineering the hull composite structure, etc.
GY Boat Design worked on this project as an independent Naval Architecture Company and submitted to CE the stability booklet and calculations for resistance to waves and wind and the offset load test.
The sea trails has been successfully completed in March 2012
All tests on water and land, her performance, speed and stability were signed off by the owner's representative and CE.
She is delivered to her owner.
Some of features of "The Car-boat"
- Amphibious boat capable of 36 knots speed on water, 10 km/h on level ground and up to 5 km/h when on 15 degrees slope.
- Hull bottom incorporates 3 recessed compartments to house the landing wheels and hydraulic arms. The compartments are closed off with hinged flaps when the boat is in sea mode. In sea mode the compartments are flooded when the boat is at rest and venturi dry when she is under way.
- Three stage carbon telescopic wheelchair boarding ramp slides out from the aft face of the boarding platform with maximum reach of 5.3 m. The ramp is rated to carry 300kg, has width of 800mm and maximum gradient of 15 degrees. Removable single rope with four S/S stanchions handrail can be manually installed when the ramp is fully extended.
- Hull and deck carbon/epoxy composite structure built from female CNC moulds
- Foredeck recessed to port and starboard incorporates high and low beam headlights. Headlights are protected by watertight flush perspex covers
- The transoms face above the stern platform incorporate a recess for taillights and also the air out grills for ventilating the machinery space.
- Transom hinged door.
- Side windows utilize car components for the opening and closing mechanism.
- Front opening 12 volt fridge and a small sink at the top below a hinged lid.
- Marine audio entertainment system with subwoofer and four water proof flush mounted speakers
- Bow thruster and trim control
- Deck shower, removable ski pole and carbon fibre swim ladder.
Copyright 2012 GY Boat Design